Sunday, February 20, 2022

Crime Film Conventions - Portfolio Project Blog #5

In terms of shots and angles, crime films tend to use low and high angled shots to establish power as well as weakness. Establishing shots are also used to establish the location and the environment as to where the crime will take place. As seen in my previous blog (Blog #3), No Country For Old Men used a variety of establishing shots to show off the rustic and deserted setting for the film's opening scene. 

Editing techniques in crime films differ depending on the specific scene. For scenes of extreme action (ex. escape), crime films will usually replicate action films and use fast paced editing techniques and cuts to show that thrilling aspect of a crime. In longer scenes like when a crime is actively being committed, they will use slower editing techniques with less cuts.

Props are an important component of the mise en scene of a crime film. Weapons and tools are commonly used as props in crime films. Lighting techniques are also used to establish the tone of a scene and differs between different scenes. As for sound, there is usually a mix of diegetic and non diegetic sound involved throughout scenes.

Like I've mentioned before, I do plan on using some establishing shots in the beginning of my film opening to set the environment. As for editing, because my opening will begin with the crime in effect, I plan on using slower editing techniques and less cuts. Because the plot of my film opening is about breaking into a house, I'll have to use props like a crowbar or a screwdriver or something like that to mimic me breaking into the house. The film opening will take place at night so I plan on using low key lighting to mimic the "empty house in the middle of the night" kind of vibe. As for sound techniques, diegetic sounds like footsteps and such will be key to film opening, but I also am okay with using any non-diegetic sounds like ominous music.

Sources used:
https://georgesimmons-mediablog.weebly.com/conventions-of-crime-films.html
https://www.filmsite.org/crimefilms.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection - Portfolio Project #25

Soooo… it’s been about 2 months since I’ve initially started this project and wow has it gone by a lot quicker than I expected. I didn’t exp...