Saturday, February 19, 2022

Crime Film Plot Characteristics - Portfolio Project Blog #4

Today I decided to do some more research on the plots among the crime film genre.

The plots of crime films vary depending on each film. Some pieces are based on real events or true stories and others are adaptations of novels or plays. A good example of a novel based crime film is No Country for Old Men. Some plots are also entirely original and set in fiction. All crime films share the same plot aspect, that being crime. The level of crime and what crimes are committed are what usually differ within many crime films, especially the perspectives that the film decides to take.

 

The 2007 crime film No Country for Old Men is based on the 2005 novel of the same name.

Speaking of perspectives, most crime films usually focus on the perspective of the criminal rather than the perspective of a victim or the police. Plots usually highlight the life of the criminal and glorify their rise and fall as well as any personal conflicts that they have, whether it is with other criminals, the law, or themselves.

For my project, I am going to make up the plot myself instead of basing it on any other medium, as I don't really want to do an adaptation, I'd rather base my project off of my own ideas and what comes to my head. As for specific crimes, I won't be basing my project on any high level crimes like murder or something. Instead, I'll likely focus on robbery/burglary. My film opening will be filmed in the perspective of the criminal. As for the type of conflict I plan on showcasing, I am still unsure. As of now I am thinking of a Criminal v. Police-type conflict.

Sources used:

https://www.filmsite.org/crimefilms.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_film

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection - Portfolio Project #25

Soooo… it’s been about 2 months since I’ve initially started this project and wow has it gone by a lot quicker than I expected. I didn’t exp...